Simple Sock Yarn Sweater

December 25, 2015

On the twelfth day of Christmas, Tin Can Knits gave to me…

Flax Light

a simple sock yarn sweater,

beautiful beanie,
lovely lacy toque,
bon bon delight,
boot topping beauties,
gartery goodness,
twist stitch tam,

booties warm and wee!

hip slouchy hat,
honey flavoured mitts,
sea inspired socks,
and cabled mittens for under the tree!

Day 12 of the Tin Can Knits 12 Days of Christmas features the Flax Light sweater pattern.  It’s a new addition to The Simple Collection, and just like the other 8 free patterns, it will be free forever!

something simple

Flax Light

You asked for it and here it is! Our popular pullover Flax has a new cousin, Flax Light. This sweater has all the same features as it’s worsted weight relative, but it’s worked up in fingering weight yarn instead. This makes for a perfect layering piece, or a great sweater for bright spring day.

While we created The Simple Collection with new knitters in mind, it has had widespread appeal among new and experienced knitters alike. It seems that it doesn’t matter how long you have been knitting, sometimes something simple is just the thing. A fingering weight sweater may not be the best learning canvas, but it is a great thing to have in your knitted wardrobe!

SC-flaxlight-08a

Flax Light by Tin Can KnitsFlax Light Pattern Details

Pattern: Flax Light (FREE!)
Sizing: 0-6mo (6-12 mo, 1-2y, 2-4y, 4-6y, 6-8y, 8-10y, XS, S, SM, M, ML, L, XL, XXL, 3XL, 4XL); finished bust: 18 (19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 43, 47, 51, 55, 59)”
Yarn: 350 (400, 500, 650, 750, 900, 1000, 1150, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, 1900, 2100, 2300, 2500) yds fingering / sock weight yarn (samples shown in Sweet Fiber Cashmerino 20 in ‘smoke’ and ‘spirit’)
Needles: US #2 / 2.75 mm and US #5 / 3.75 mm (or as required to meet gauge)

SC-flaxlight-07a

inspiration for a collection

The idea for the Simple Collection came from our Rye socks. I was working away on these warm worsted socks on a trip with my family to Ireland and Scotland. I worked the cuff and put my hand through it to open up the knitting and see how it was looking. I thought to myself: this would make a lovely detail for a sweater. Thus the Flax was born!

At the same time I had just picked out some beautiful Hedgehog fibers to make a light sweater for Jonesie, and so I cast on. The prototype for the Flax sweater (and of course, the Flax Light) was knit in fingering weight and was one of my very favorite sweaters to put on Jones when he was wee.

IMG_9801

When Emily’s son Max was first newborn, she wanted to have one tiny sweater that would fit him IMMEDIATELY.  So she made a tiny Flax Light prototype too… it was so tiny that it only fit until he was 4 weeks old.  But it was darling while it lasted!

Flax Light by Tin Can Knits

Tiny baby Max’s Flax Light is knit in Rainbow Heirloom Twinkle Light in ‘fluffy bunny’

Have you seen the Simple Collection?

In 2013, we decided that the knitting world needed a comprehensive set of free patterns and tutorials done Tin Can Knits style; sized baby to big, made in modern hand-dyed yarns with the playful photography that we like best!  So we created The Simple Collection so you could learn to make modern, seamless knits by following along step-by-step with our 8 free patterns.  If you haven’t tried these patterns, know a newer knitter who would love them, or teach knitting yourself, check them out now!

Flax Light by Tin Can KnitsFlax Pullover by Tin Can KnitsFlax Light by Tin Can KnitsBarley Hat by Tin Can KnitsWheat Scarf by Tin Can KnitsRye Socks by Tin Can KnitsOats Cowl by Tin Can KnitsMalt Blanket by Tin Can KnitsHarvest Cardigan by Tin Can KnitsMaize Mitts by Tin Can KnitsHarvest Cardigan by Tin Can Knits

Our 12 Days of Christmas has drawn to a close, but don’t worry, Flax Light will be free forever! I think I’ll cast on one for myself in the New Year…..

Know a someone who would like a lightweight sweater?  Click the links below and share this post!

Tin Can Knits on FacebookTin Can Knits on Instagram Tin Can Knits on Twitter Tin Can Knits on Pinterest Tin Can Knits Email Updates button-ravelry-40

More light sweater from TCK:

1. January 5, 2016 7:29 am

I can’t thank you enough for all of these wonderful patterns! And so timely too, I’ve already started on two hats for my boys and want to make myself some mittens. Happy New Year!

2. Amy Murdock permalink
    December 31, 2015 8:07 pm

I just wanted to express my thanks for your gifts for the season! I chose a few and hope to knit them up this coming year. It was very generous of you.
    I wish you the best knitting enjoyment ever and Happy New Year for 2016!

Sincerely,

Amy

3. December 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Thank you so much for the lovely patterns!

4. knittedblissjc permalink
    December 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Love this fingering weight version! Looks amazing.

5. Karen J. permalink
    December 28, 2015 11:22 am

Thank you for a wonderful twelve days of Christmas!

6. December 28, 2015 2:35 am

thank you, thank you! Have been searching for over 2 years for a sexy neckline, topdown and you’ve given it to me for Xmas :D :D
    Have yarn and will start knittting in January
    Happy New Year!

7. December 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Thank you so much for the free patterns and great tutorials. I’m 1/4 way through my first sweater ever – the Flax, of course, and now I look very forward to the Flax Light!

8. Piebird permalink
    December 27, 2015 11:57 am

Thank you for the generous sharing of your 12 Days of Knitting! I’m sure at least some of these will be part of my repertoire for 2016. Becoming a grandma last year has gotten me back into knitting, so I’ll be peaking at your patterns for little ones too.

9. Hope Breeman permalink
    December 27, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for all the gorgeous patterns you posted! Big fan of your style!

10. June Ford permalink
    December 27, 2015 9:21 am

What a wonderful Christmas gift. Many thanks for all the patterns that you gave everyone. I have enjoyed many of your patterns and tutorials. Great job!

Sent from my iPad

11. Cindi permalink
    December 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Thank you for gifting these awesome knitting patterns during Tin Can Knits 12 Days of Christmas event. I eagerly anticipated the arrival of a new pattern each morning, and I can’t wait to begin casting on all of these beauties throughout the coming year. I appreciate your generosity in sharing all of these gorgeous designs with Ravelry users.

12. Cindi permalink
    December 26, 2015 6:40 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your knitting patterns during the Tin Can Knits 12 Days of Christmas. I woke up each morning eagerly looking forward to finding out what type of pattern would be posted; and I’m so pleased that I was able to download each of the patterns. I appreciate your generosity in gifting these lovely knitting patterns to Ravelry users, and I can’t wait to cast on these beauties throughout the new year.

13. Andrea permalink
    December 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks for the fun patterns. Even though I already own most of them, the excitement of seeing which pattern was next kept me going (I’m an elementary teacher) the last few days of school before break!

14. December 26, 2015 7:32 am

Such a great sweater! This has been such a fun event – it was always exciting to see which was the pattern of the day. Thank you so much for all the wonderful patterns! I hope you and your families are having a very merry Christmas.

15. mamamajuly permalink
    December 26, 2015 5:35 am

Oh, I just saw on your Facebook page that it was free from now on! Thank you so much, and thanks for these 12 days of Christmas! Love your patterns!

16. December 26, 2015 5:23 am

Hi! I tried to get your sweater pattern yesterday but the link brought me to a hat pattern. I had a big family Christmas dinner, so didn’t have time to fiddle with this, but I really would have like that pattern! :0/

17. December 26, 2015 12:38 am

A great addition to the collection! I’ve just finished rye socks for my first sock project and they’re delicious, thank you!

18. Ingrid permalink
    December 25, 2015 3:48 pm

What a fantastic 12 Days of Christmas it has been! Thank you SO much for the gifts. I love them all!

19. Colleen permalink
    December 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Merry Christmas! Thank you for sharing your wonderful patterns!

20. Isabelle permalink
    December 25, 2015 10:18 am

Thank you so much for the patterns.
    Merry Christmas to you all

21. Dorothy Johnson permalink
    December 25, 2015 8:33 am

Just wanted to drop a line to you to thank you so very much for the free patterns. It has really been so cool to open these daily email and and receive these gifts. I have so enjoyed that and will enjoy the knitting of the patterns. Thank you so much for your generosity. Happy holidays, and all the best to you in 2016. You make the world a better place by being in it! dj

Sent from my iPhone

22. December 25, 2015 8:06 am

Thank you so much for all the lovely patterns! I’ve so enjoyed stopping by the blog each day to see what was here. I have a quick question about Flax Light, can it be done in sport weight yarn? I’m concerned that 6 st/in in fingering would be too loose and not wear well.

23. December 25, 2015 8:06 am

Wonderful! This sweater looks so good in a fingering weight. Thank you so mcuh for these 12 days of presents.

24. December 25, 2015 7:19 am

Thank you ladies for these lovely gifts. What a treat it was to see your lovely give aways each day. So very generous of you. May you have the merriest of Christmases and the happiest and healthiest New Year. I’ll be sure to purchase some of your lovely patterns as a thank you – and well, let’s be real here – to knit because your patterns are amazing! The size ranges alone make it more than worth the money! All the best to you both – from the opposite side of Canada!

Kelly in Labrador (hoodlumknit on Rav)

25. beth w. permalink
    December 25, 2015 7:01 am

Thank you – this is really wonderful of you. Merry Christmas!

26. Kerry Taylor permalink
    December 25, 2015 6:38 am

Merry Christmas and God bless you every one! What wonderful holiday gifts. Thank you!

27. Barb permalink
    December 25, 2015 5:58 am

Merry Christmas! and thank you! Hoping to knit some of your patterns in the future:)

28. Dorthe permalink
    December 25, 2015 4:49 am

Thanks so much for al yours fantastic patterns. merry Christmas from Denmark.

29. Cynthia permalink
    December 25, 2015 3:54 am

Thank you so much for your 12 days of Christmas. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

30. Mary permalink
    December 25, 2015 3:27 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Loved the picture of the kids with Santa! Thank you for the Twelve Days! I already had most of the patterns (love your patterns!), but really enjoyed revisiting them just the same. Best wishes for the coming year.

31. Lisa E permalink
    December 25, 2015 2:43 am

Thank you for the wonderful 12 days of gifts. Lovely patterns from lovely people. Hope you have a beautiful holiday.

32. December 25, 2015 1:21 am

What a wonderful gift. Thank you for the entire twelve days. May this day be full of joy and relaxation for you all.

33. quickerby permalink
    December 25, 2015 1:21 am

Thank you so much for your lovely patterns. Lots of things to get started on after the festivities. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

34. Dorothée Delon permalink
    December 25, 2015 1:09 am

thank you so much for all your free patterns, real Christmas gifts for me!
    Merry Christmas for you all, Joyeux Noël und Frohe Weihnachten!
    Dorothée

35. msmelter permalink
    December 25, 2015 1:00 am

Thank you so much for these generous gifts! Such a lovely patterns. I’m looking forward to start with one of the patterns :-)

36. December 25, 2015 12:20 am

Thank you for all those wonderful patterns! Merry Christmas!