Fired Up for Sweater Knitting? Embers is Here!

December 4, 2020
yoke sweater laid flat on a mossy rock
Embers sweater pattern

Who’s ready for some sweater knitting?! Our newest pattern Embers is here!

Embers is exactly what I need right now — basic, top–down construction, simple colourwork, and tons of fun palette possibilities.

Matchy Matchy

We may have mentioned it before (like here and here), but we really love a hat swatch. It’s such a great way to see if your yarn and colour combination is the right one for your sweater. I knit up a few hats to test out my colour combos before embarking on the sweater. Get the Embers hat pattern here.

Embers hat pattern
The Embers hat is this much fun. I promise!

The Farmer’s Daughter Fibers and Jamieson & Smith

I think the most fun part of this sweater was choosing a palette for the yoke. I had a rainbow of amazing Soka’pii from The Farmer’s Daughter Fibers and tried a few combinations before I hit upon my favourite. To make the colourwork really POP, I held the contrast colour yarn doubled.

A warm rainbow of yarn skeins lined up.

Emily chose the colours for the kiddie size from her wild stash of Jamieson & Smith… after agonizing for days and swatching up a storm! I love that pop of brightest red against the grey!

Ready to go? Get the pattern, grab your favourite yarn, and let’s knit! Share your progress on Instagram with the hashtags #EmbersSweater, #EmbersHat, and #TinCanKnits. We can’t wait to see it!

~ Alexa

1. Viola Tovar permalink
    December 4, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi my name is Viola love all your patterns my question is can your patterns be used with magic loop technique and if so can you post how I can get the patterns thank you and happy holidays 🌲

2. Kate permalink
    December 4, 2020 1:32 pm

I love the look of pure joy on the baby’s face! What a lovely photo.

3. Heather permalink
    December 4, 2020 10:35 am

Love your patterns! Would you recommend which pattern would be a good first colorwork sweater for someone who has zero experience with colorwork? Thank you!

• December 4, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Heather – Embers would be a good one! But I would personally start with something small, like a hat, to work out any tension issues before starting a sweater.

4. Molly permalink
    December 4, 2020 9:05 am

New patterns look beautiful -a great way to dive into colorwork. I would love a pattern bundle offer for the two purchased together.

5. Anne permalink
    December 4, 2020 8:51 am

Thank you for a perfect Friday afternoon moment. Just casting off my Compass sweater for my daughter (in Jamieson and Smith jumper weight of course), having a cup of tea and reading about your new pattern! Ten minutes of bliss.