Recycled and Respun
I’ve recently realized that I hadn’t gotten around to trying plying recycled yarns to create newly spun yarns. So I got out the spindle; and had a go.
I haven’t knit with this yet, so I’m not sure yet what the result will truly be, but it looks pretty successful and beautiful to me! Perhaps I over-plied it a little.
Next I will try a 4-ply cabled yarn, so that the twist that I add into the first ply will be balanced by the second plying.
I’ve also blocked the first part of my pillow cover project; a yellow lace medallion in bulky angora/wool recycled yarn.
In the kitchen, I cooked up some deep purple sock yarn… OK, I’ll admit it, this was not the colour I initially shot for… But when the teal which I’d lovingly coveted turned to dark green after I added the vinegar and the yellow dye really STRUCK, then I had to dump in other random bits of dye I had hanging around, and voila! purple. Not bad though!
I’ve also been to the thrift stores, and had some success;
- Mohair/nylon sweater, which I over dyed to wear.
- 100% lambswool LS sweater
- 70% angora 30% nylon MEGA sweater in flourescent orange (AMAZING!!)
- felted wool cable sweater, which I’ll make into a felted bag
- 70% silk 30% nylon short sleeve sweater – very slinky yarn, which takes dye well
- and last but not least, a 100% cashmere long-sleeve women’s sweater, in a purple I actually like!! This might have to be a vest? Or a hat+gloves set? Mmmmm something with cables? Maybe doubled up and bulky… Very exciting, that’s for sure!