Yet another Vivid

April 23, 2014

IMG_9162As soon as I found out I was pregnant with baby number three I started thinking about what I would like to make. This babe will have a lot of hand-me-down knits from Hunter and Jones, a wardrobe of sweaters, booties, and hats. I decided I wanted to make something bright and beautiful so I went to my stash of rainbow Tanis Fiber Arts yarn and cast on for one of my very favorite patterns: Vivid!

I know, it seems really crazy to knit the same blanket twice (I knit this one a little while ago). Especially something with so many of the same square but friends, I am completely and hopelessly in love (obsessed) with this blanket. I have the pattern memorized, I can work a square in an hour or less, and doing each square in a different bright and beautiful hand-dyed color?! Nothing makes me happier. I’m a simple gal. I didn’t even want to use a different yarn, I picked up a few more colours in Tanis Fiber Arts Yellow Label DK and away I went.

IMG_9167

Now, no matter how smitten you are with pattern, there is always something you don’t want to do and for me that was seaming. I finished these squares about a month ago and I’ve had them sitting, blocked and ready, in a neat rainbow pile on my desk. I pat them and give them a smile whenever I’m in my office, the palette makes me that happy. Last night I finally decided that they were not going to magically seam themselves as I had hoped and I got out my darning needle. The finished results still make me happy and the blanket is the first in a wee pile of new knits for babe number 3.

IMG_9192

The project details:

Pattern: Vivid by Emily Wessel

Yarn: Tanis Fiber Arts Yellow Label DK in ‘pink grapefruit’, ‘royal flush’, ‘poppy’, ‘garnet’, ‘velvet’, ‘lilac’, ‘frost’, ‘peacock’, ‘seabreeze’, ‘mallard’, ‘teal’, ‘spearmint’, ‘lemongrass’, ‘buttercup’, ‘orange blossom’, and ‘sunset’

Needles: US 6 / 4mm (I used double points for the center and switched to a 16″ circular for the garter edges)

Looking for a tutorial? Check out our in depth Vivid tutorial here.

IMG_9186

So I can’t be the only one who is obsessed with knitting a pattern repeatedly…can I? What’s your pattern obsession?

IMG_9172

More colourful baby knits from Tin Can Knits

1. phawk permalink
    May 23, 2014 4:13 am

I have loved this since I first saw it a year ago. I FINALLY had a friend have a baby so I had an excuse to make it, lol. I am in the process of making squares. I’m not too worried about the seaming, one or two a day, and in a week or so it will be done. So excited, love mixing colors!

2. May 2, 2014 1:42 pm

Reblogged this on Two Crows and a Squirrel.

3. May 1, 2014 6:33 pm

what an amazing palette! beautiful.

4. April 25, 2014 4:34 pm

That’s gorgeous. A friend just gave me a huge bag of lovely different colours of wool 4ply. Maybe this is what I need to do.

5. knittedblissjc permalink
    April 25, 2014 7:28 am

Soooo gorgeous!! I don’t mind seaming, and I’ve just added this to my queue- I think I’ve developed a nice DK stash that would make a perfect Vivid blanket. All the FOs I’ve seen of this are stunning- and your newest one is a knockout.

6. April 25, 2014 7:00 am

I love the palette! This is such a gorgeous pattern! Why wouldn’t you knit it twice?! Seaming is definitely the worst part for me too.
    I’m currently obsessed with baby blankets so I think this might be my next one!

7. April 25, 2014 3:47 am

So beautiful! I love this. So worth the evening of seaming!

8. slippedstitches permalink
    April 24, 2014 9:30 am

Congratulations! The blanket is beautiful. You’re not obsessed with the pattern, just wonderfully in love with it. And why not be? Your results are beautiful.

9. FoFo permalink
    April 24, 2014 7:00 am

Absolutely beautiful! My obsession right now is tank tops and shawls/cowls.

10. April 24, 2014 6:29 am

Gorgeous! I love the colors and the pattern. Since I am also a quilter, it looks like a beautiful quilt too.

11. April 24, 2014 5:50 am

No wonder you’re obsessed with this pattern, it is such a lovely blanket! I can image it in neutral colours, in shades of blues… I tend to obsessed with patterns too, once I found something I like, I knit it repeatedly: one for me, one to gift away, another one for me, a different colour, a different yarn texture… Your blanket is now on my ToKnit list.

12. April 23, 2014 8:40 pm

This is a lovely blanket. I also like repetition as it allows me to “think” and put things to rest. However, like you I am not fond of seaming. This blanket would definitely be worth the seaming, though. Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures.

• April 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks! The seaming took 3 hours, so a movie and a bit, not too bad at all!

1. stitch by stitch – a wardrobe for a nephew | Tin Can Knits