Let’s Make a Pom Pom

October 19, 2014

mb-bumble-08b

One of the great things about knitting is that there are so many different ways to do pretty much anything. There are many knitting styles, many ways to work an increase, a decrease, there is just a lot of variety. Same goes for pom poms! There are a few types of pom pom makers, or there is always the low tech cardboard method. I love a good pom pom maker, they make pompoming (I made that word up) easy. I think Emily avoids putting pom pom’s on her knits because she’s too thrifty to get a pom pom maker.

Step 1: get out your pom pom maker. There are lots of sizes, I tend to think bigger is better when it comes to pom poms!

This is my pom pom maker. There are many like it but this one is mine.

This is my pom pom maker. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Step 2: Open the pom pom maker and wrap your yarn around one side. This is not the time to skimp on yarn, go nuts or you will end up with a limp pom pom and no one wants that!

Open 'er up

Open ‘er up

Start wrapping and don't stop until you can't stand to do any more.

Start wrapping and don’t stop until you can’t stand to do any more.

Step 3: Close the side you just wrapped and start on side 2.

Close one side and start on side 2

Close one side and start on side 2

Your pom pom has been wrapped!

Your pom pom has been wrapped!

Step 4: Cut your pom pom.

pom pom cut here

Cutting

Cutting

Now you have cut all the way around

Now you have cut all the way around

Step 5: tie your pom pom. I tie it a few times and use a good sturdy knot. You don’t want bits of pom pom escaping!

Your tying yarn goes around the pom pom (in the same place you just cut)

Your tying yarn goes around the pom pom (in the same place you just cut)

Step 6: take your pom pom maker apart

Release the pom pom!

Release the pom pom!

Voila, pom pom! Sew it onto your favorite hat to add a bit of whimsy.

IMG_8525

Looking for more pom pom information? I recommend Tanis of Tanis Fiber Arts and her full pom pom tutorial here, she uses a different style of maker and recommends sending your completed pom pom through the dryer in a mesh bag for a ‘fulled’ look. If you are looking for the low tech cardboard method check out the gals at Pom Pom Quarterly and their cool pom pom garland and tutorial here.

SHARE the knit knowledge :::

Do you have knitting friends who could use this tutorial?  Share this post, or let them know about the great free patterns they could try from The Simple Collection.  And join in the conversation on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Ravelry!

Tin Can Knits on FacebookTin Can Knits on Instagram Tin Can Knits on Twitter Tin Can Knits on Pinterest Tin Can Knits Email Updates button-ravelry-40

More pom pom worthy designs by Tin Can Knits

1. November 13, 2014 1:22 pm

I usually make pompoms by wrapping the yarn around my hand (or a few fingers for smaller poms), but this looks much neater! Doesn’t look like you have to do much trimming either. I think you’ve converted me! :)

2. November 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Ahoj je Máš neuveriteľné práce. Buddem určite Digg juu
    a osibne navrhnúť, aby moji priatelia. Som,
    istý, tak je prospech z tohto wsbu .

3. florapie permalink
    October 20, 2014 1:58 pm

I’d be more inclined to say Emily avoids pom poms because they eat yarn! But that’s a pretty cool looking pom pom maker, and way more user-friendly than the cardboard ones. What kind is it?

4. Kesha permalink
    October 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Thank you so much. Let’s talk about timely!! I have been starring at my purchased pom, pom maker completely baffled.

5. knittedblissjc permalink
    October 20, 2014 8:14 am

what a great tutorial, I have looked at pom pom makers before, but didn’t actually know how they worked (I feel a little dumb confessing that). now it looks so easy, I wnat to rush out and get a pom pom maker!

• November 4, 2014 10:31 pm

Ha! I had the instructions kicking around for a really long time and had to refer to them constantly. It’s only through obsessive pom pom making that I can finally use it all by myself.

6. Jenny permalink
    October 20, 2014 7:48 am

I used to love making pom poms when I was a child. I used cardboard then, very low tech. I only heard about pom pom makers recently. What a wonderful world we live in :D

7. viki permalink
    October 20, 2014 4:43 am

A timely tutorial! I just bought a couple of these pom pom makers yesterday.

8. Patricia Collins permalink
    October 20, 2014 1:04 am

Why on earth add to all the plastic junk in the world when making pom-poms with scissors and cardboard is one of children’s favourite activities?