How to wear a shawl

March 10, 2016
Nina is taking in the Natural History Museum in her lovely Sunflower Shawl, wrapped casually off center

I am quite a big fan of shawls. Whether they are light and lacy or textured and cozy, I love to knit them and I love to wear them. They are the perfect way to fancy up an otherwise plain outfit, perfect for keeping cozy at the coffee shop, and the possibilities in stripes, colors, and patterns are endless! To knit, they are a rather portable item and shawl patterns come in a wide variety of difficulty levels depending on what I’m looking for at the moment. What’s not to like?

How to wear a shawl

The Drift shawl can be styled in a multitude of ways! A shawl pin is a key accessory for the avid shawl enthusiast.

A common problem seems to be that people aren’t sure how to wear their lovely shawl. They have knit a beautiful item but…now what? How to wrap it just right so it has that effortless flowy feel for a larger shawl, or a cute scarf in a smaller version. Here is a little inspiration to help you get just the fashion forward look you want!

What, this? I just threw on any old thing!

The ‘over the back’ look. What, this? I just threw on any old thing!

Draped casually over a white t-shirt and jeans, triangle in front

Branching Out shawl draped casually over a white t-shirt and jeans, triangle in front

Sometimes a shawl pin is the perfect accessory! Keeping your shawl snug around your shoulders on a blustery day.

My personal favorite, triangle in front with the 'wings' wrapping around

My personal favorite, triangle in front with the ‘wings’ wrapping around

Off center but still wrapped around the shoulders

Off center but still wrapped around the shoulders

The Road I Took shawl by Dieuwke van Mulligen is lovely and long, perfect for styling so many ways!
Wrapped around and around like a scarf, pinned in front as a boho layered top, pinned as a long shawl with the ‘arms’ in front, or simply wrapped with the triangle in front.

Still don’t see the look you are going for? Check out our Pinterest board for even more shawl inspiration!

So, how do you prefer your shawls? 1 skein wonders? A larger wrap around?

More charming lace from Tin Can Knits

1. Alex davis permalink
    May 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Im a crossdresser and ibwas wondering when it is ok to wear a shawl

• May 23, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Alex – I wear mine sort of whenever the mood strikes! I wear them to add a pop of colour to my outfit or, for a warmer shawl, as a scarf to keep out the chill.

2. March 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Very interesting post! Thanks!

3. Emily permalink
    March 12, 2016 11:16 am

So helpful!! Thank you!!!

4. karenkitsap permalink
    March 11, 2016 4:19 pm

What is the name of the pattern for the bright green shawl with the caption “off center but still wrapped around the shoulders”? Is it available for purchase? Thank you Karen

5. March 11, 2016 3:31 pm

What’s the green lacey shawl name that is placed off centered. It’s beautiful. I’m using IG to search for beautiful shawl ideas. My office is cold year round.

6. March 11, 2016 8:12 am

Oh my goodness, all of these shawls are so gorgeous! I’m currently working through a sweater, but I’ll definitely be returning here for my next project. Thanks for sharing!

7. March 11, 2016 1:30 am

1 skein with the triangle in front and the sides wrapped and secured so that it’s rather cowl-like is my go to. It means all my scoop neck dresses can be worn all year without my cleavage turning blue in the cold!

8. March 10, 2016 9:46 pm

This is a great post! Sometimes I find it hard to even pick a shawl pattern because I can’t imagine how I would wear it. This helps take some of the mystery away 😊

9. Kate permalink
    March 10, 2016 7:05 pm

I love a shawl with the point down in the front. We call it the “hipster bib”.

10. March 10, 2016 12:37 pm

I don’t wear shawls because to me, it’s too much work to keep them draped just so. I’m fine with lacy caplets that fasten securely so that you can just forget it and go about your day, but shawls feel like a constant struggle.

• March 11, 2016 6:53 am

I want to add that I dress u my decor with scarves. I drape them over the backs of chairs and use them as dresser scarves and table runners.

11. March 10, 2016 11:07 am

I love the ability to wrap it around so have been leaning towards the crescent shaped shawls lately. Love the one skein wonders, but sometimes it just needs more. I am sharing your post with my knitting group because they all lament they don’t know how to wear shawls!! They act like I am a shawl goddess, but truly I just throw them on. LOL