A thoughtful wardrobe

May 26, 2017

Em and I, out on the town in our knits

There is a lot of talk in the knitting world about being a process knitter vs. a product knitter. Do you knit because you love to knit or do you knit because you love the knitted item you have created? I see no reason to choose between the two, I love the finished knit because I loved knitting it! I especially love seeing my knits, that I so enjoyed making, adorning my loved ones. Friends and family who have a warmer head, toasty hands, or a cozy sweater to wear.

My most worn piece, a simple Grain shawl in luxurious Sweet Fiber Cashmere Aran. Photo cred to the wonderful Softsweater!

In my zeal of knitting though, I don’t always consider whether or not I will wear something. I knit bright pink cowl because that colour looked great in the skein and I was itching to cast on a cowl! Will it go with the orange vest I wear all the time? Nope. Didn’t stop to consider that at all…..

While I have no regrets (I loved knitting that cowl, and it will look great on whoever I gift it to), I thought I might take a stab at creating a knit wardrobe that coordinates with my actual wardrobe. That isn’t to say I won’t design an outfit around a knit, I mean, that makes a lot of sense to me, but I want to focus on knitting things for myself that I will get a lot of wear out of. This is particularly true of sweaters.

My most successful sweater I’ve knit for myself, a Flax in a lovely mustard yellow, Plucky Knitter Plucky Sweater in ‘princess phone’

I am a limited wardrobe kind of girl. I wear a lot of black, almost exclusively wear leggings or jeans, love plaid, and my grey hoodie collection is solid. So, I’m on a mission to create some knitwear for myself that goes with some of those things.

Natalie’s beautiful Antler was the inspiration for my own. She knit it in Cestari and the combination of cables and tweed are fabulous!

This idea started last year as I knit up my lovely warm brown Antler cardigan. I was inspired by my friend Natalie (@eastvanjam) and her beautiful Antler cardigan to create a tweedy one of my very own. I picked up some Brooklyn Tweed Shelter on a trip to the Beehive in ‘pumpernickel’ with a specific outfit in mind. I wanted to wear it with jeans and either a t-shirt or maybe a plaid shirt. I wanted to knit something that fit in my wardrobe!

I finished the Antler and immediately saw the error of my ways. The Antler has a more open neckline…..but I don’t want to wear it that way. I wear my sweaters a little snugger around the collar. So the button bands came off, the ribbing and the cabled decreases came out. I added 2 repeats of the cable before the decreases and decreased an extra 8 sts just before the ribbing.

Voila! A sweater that is just what I want it to be! It may be just a boring brown sweater, but to me it is perfect. Each yard of yarn flowed through my hands, each stitch was created by me. It is a sweater that will last and that will always look good with a pair of jeans. A realistic wardrobe staple!

More cabled knits from TCK:

1. Leila permalink
    June 17, 2017 1:39 am

Your Antler is beautiful and looks great on you! That ripping back bit would have left me with a wip for a year, at least! Very good food for thought about realistic knitting. I only wear my own knits anymore and it is so satisfying (meaning that I don’t purchase knits from a store).

2. June 16, 2017 2:35 pm

I’m really both a process and project knitter. I almost always cast on with some sort of purpose in mind — if it’s not a project for me, it’s a project specifically for someone else.

That said, I love the process of knitting as well!

I’m also quietly trying to make a knit wardrobe that will work with what I already own. It’s harder then I thought it would be!

3. Holda C. permalink
    June 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Your knits are so beautiful I can’t decide which one to choose! Thanks for sharing.

4. Pam Ralston permalink
    June 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Perfect blog for me! Exactly how I feel about knitting. About to take a stab at my first ever sweater fully expecting it to be a wardrobe staple😍

5. Kimberley permalink
    May 30, 2017 6:23 am

I am so a process knitter! I’m sad when the project comes off the needles. Sometimes, it will remain unfinished (ends, seams and buttons needing to be sewn) for a couple of weeks and I am well into another project before I can finish it.

6. May 29, 2017 12:48 am

I am mostly a product crafter (mostly crochet) but I love the process otherwise I wouldn’t do it. I don’t think you need to choose between the 2 :)

7. May 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Ah, the elusive Alexa has shared photos of her in knitwear! I recently discovered how pathetic my own wardrobe is when I couldn’t find my favorite tank top because my laundry basket was a sea of black shirts. The most colorful item of clothing I currently own is one brick-red tunic top. That said, I guess it’s time to cast on a few Me sweaters.

8. May 28, 2017 5:50 am

I am, depending on project, both a process and product knitter, though I love the quick hit of finished product a hat or fingerless gloves give me. I, too, am starting to really think about what I can knit that will truly be for me.

9. Desiree Martin permalink
    May 27, 2017 8:23 am

I have been knitting since I wad going 10 years old. I am really good at it now. Take it everywhere I go. Also it blesses my income. And I always have a gift to give anybody. It’s a blessing from God to me.

10. Kathy D permalink
    May 27, 2017 6:53 am

I’m finishing an Antler for my great niece and I love it. Now I have to finish the Gramps for her brother and block a Stiorr for her sister and then I can make an Antler for me. I like the blog posts with how to modify and better way of doing different techniques – great jobs guys!

11. Roxie permalink
    May 27, 2017 6:21 am

You look adorable in plaid and the Antler. I am totally inspired to knit one for my own. Thank you so much. :)

12. sabrina hadley permalink
    May 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’ve become a recent fan of TCK, as I’ve only been knitting seriously for less than a year. I’ve done most of the simple line & learned lots of stitches & techniques. I love that you adapted the sweater to fit you. I want to try a sweater for myself – but like you said something that I can enjoy on a regular basis! Thanks again, your work is amazing!