Magic Loop Technique – how to knit in the round using a single long circular needle

October 3, 2013

There are several ways to knit in the round.  For tubes that are 16″ around or larger, you can use a circular needle [tutorial here] – they come in several lengths (there are also really tiny little 9″ circulars that work for socks and mittens, but they are a less commonly used).

For knitting small diameter tubes (socks, sleeves, and the decrease sections at the top of hats), you need to use another technique: either double pointed needles (DPNs) [tutorial here], or a technique called ‘Magic Loop’ which employs a single long circular needle.  Here at Tin Can Knits, Alexa prefers DPNs and Emily prefers the Magic Loop technique.  The results are the same, so the choice is up to you, and you should use the technique that you prefer, although it is useful to know both!

We have a tutorial here describing the process for knitting in the round on double pointed needles.

This tutorial is dedicated to Magic Loop.

Using a 32″ / 80cm or longer circular needle, cast on the required number of stitches, plus one extra stitch.  For this example, I CO 21 sts.  I have also used two different kinds of needle tips (metal and wood) to make the process a bit more clear.

Folding the cable in half at approximately the half-way point of your cast-on stitches, pull out a loop of cable.  This means half the stitches are on one part of the cable, then there’s a loop, and half the stitches are on the other part of the cable.

Now slide the stitches to the needle points, so the two needles are together, and the needle points next to one another. Make sure that the cast on ‘edge’ is not twisted.

Transfer the last stitch you cast on (the extra stitch), using your fingers, from the needle it is on to the other needle.  Now you are ready to begin!

The needle tip which had the last cast on stitch on it, and the working yarn, is the needle you will knit with (in my case the metal needle).  Pull it out, until there is a 8″ loop of cord, then use it to knit the first 2 stitches of the round together (the extra stitch and the first cast-on stitch).  This little trick is not essential, but it makes for a nice clean join at the cast-on edge.  This is the first stitch of the round.

Next knit across the rest of the stitches on the wooden needle.  Once you are at the end of the needle, half the stitches are on the metal needle, and the wooden needle is free, flopping about.

STEP 1 ::: To prepare to knit the next set of stitches, pull the cord on the loop, until all stitches are on the needle tips again, half on the metal needle (you just knit those) and the others on the wooden needle (these are the next stitches to knit).  There is a single big loop at the other end.

STEP 2 ::: Turn your work 180 degrees, so that the metal needle is in front, and the needle tips point to the right, and the loop of cord is on the left.

STEP 3 ::: Pull out the back needle (metal needle in my case).

STEP 4 ::: Pass this needle underneath the working yarn

STEP 5 ::: knit across the stitches on the front (wooden) needle (after knitting the first stitch of a section, give it a nice tight tug to ensure there isn’t a big gap between it and the previous stitch).

Then you are in the same situation as you were – you have half the stitches on the metal needle, and the wooden needle is free, flopping about. Repeat steps 1-5, and a little tube of knit fabric will form!  As you will notice, you are ALWAYS knitting using the same needle tip in your right hand, the other needle tip always acts as the left-hand needle.

LETS REVIEW THE PROCESS AGAIN, with a few more rows on the needles.  With practice, it will become simple, clear and intuitive for you.

In my opinion, the magic loop technique is simple and elegant, and it avoids the problems of dropping stitches off the ends of double pointed needles.  Markers don’t really work when placed at the start or end of needles (same as with DPNs), but you can place them in between, and use the end of the section, or the ‘loop’ as a marker.

You can work any number of stitches using this technique, although when I have a large number of stitches, I find it more convenient and fast to knit using a circular needle of the correct size, rather than an excessively long one!

Like our in-depth tutorials?  To stay ‘in the loop’ get our email updates!

Projects to practice your magic loop skills :::

Little SocksBonBon mittensFancy Balls

1. Hazel Clayton permalink
    December 2, 2014 12:17 pm

Now I get it!!! Thank you so much for this.

2. November 17, 2014 1:04 pm

THIS tutorial is wonderful, I picked up the technique with one run through, thanks so much for this! can’t wait to get making hats and mittens now :) jenny xx

3. Elaine Pollard permalink
    April 25, 2014 9:04 pm

I understand the basic premise of magic loop, but I have not found one tutorial that explains how I will know I have completed a full row. Is there an easy way to tell? I have even tried a marker, but somehow it didn’t work. I guess I could just count double. Thanks for any advice!

Elaine

4. April 19, 2014 1:08 pm

I’m interested in trying this technique but wonder whether laddering will be more of a problem. When making socks with dpn I continuously change the point at which I go from one needle to the next so I don’t have to deal with that tendency for the changing point to create a vertical line in the sock. Is this any harder to do with the magic loop? Or is there a different way to prevent the possibility of laddering?

• April 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I think it’s about the same, you can still change where the join is on a regular basis to avoid ladders with Magic Loop.

5. March 29, 2014 8:02 am

Hello! I used this tutorial to learn Magic Loop. So easy! And I’ve only been knitting for a few months! If a newbie can figure it out, anyone can!

I gave you a shout out on my blog, so people know where I learned it.

Thank you so much for the very clear instructions! Happy knitting!
    Renee

6. Sandy permalink
    February 16, 2014 4:52 pm

do you have a tutorial on the heel and picking up the gusset for a sock using long circular needle
    sandy

• February 18, 2014 6:57 am

Hi Sandy – we don’t have a tutorial specifically on how to pick up along the gusset when using magic loop. But the process is exactly the same as when using DPNS (except you pick up using your circular needle). Check out our tutorial on sock knitting here.

• February 18, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Emily
      When needing to pick up sts for the heel, I use an interchangeable tip, dpn or other circ.
      Then slide the picked up stitches to my working circ.
      It does require additional tools, but much easier than trying to pick up with the working circ in magic loop mode.

• February 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Oh that’s one way to do it, but I’ve always just used the working end of the magic loop circular, and never had an issue with it. But I do tend to use quite long circulars for magic loop (40″ often).

7. Shelby Ostergaard permalink
    January 25, 2014 9:37 am

This is BY FAR the most helpful magic loop explanation I have seen. However, I have a question. When I knit in the magic loop, I end up with yarn slipped over the cable, at the end of the first half of a row. It looks as if it is the part joining the round. When I simply slip the needle out so that it is no longer going over, I end up with small holes in my knitting. When I knit it (as if it were a stitch) I end up adding a stitch to every row. If I attempt to ignore it, it usually slips off anyway in the process of me turning my work 180 degrees. Do you have any idea what this is?

Will the extra stitch help this? In addition, when do you stop knitting the extra stitch? How do you do that without dropping it?

Thank you so much, I’m sorry, it looks as if I might have actually had many questions!

• February 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Shelby – I’m not sure what you mean by the yarn slipped over the cable at the first half of the row. I think perhaps you are actually creating a yarn-over (increase) at the end of the previous row…

Your yarn should lead from UNDER the previous stitch, into the next stitch. If you send me a detailed photo I might be able to diagnose your problem more accurately! ~ Emily

8. Leslie Gearhart permalink
    December 22, 2013 6:52 am

Do you have a tutorial on knitting 2 items (socks or sleeves) at once with either the magic loop or 2 circulars? I’m getting mixed up with casting on and keeping track of the circulars and where to start when I have to put my work down and come back later!!

9. November 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Thank you so much! I have feared using circular needles until now, because I found your tutorial!