Learn to knit a Sweater – Quickly :
Knitting a baby sweater is the perfect way to learn all the sweater techniques that would be necessary to knit an adult sweater, in a fraction of the time, and with a hopelessly adorable result!
Our Gramps cardigan is a perfect example, while it is a relatively simple design, its simplicity requires a good number of intermediate knitting techniques such as: increasing and decreasing stitches, pattern reading, knitting in the round, picking up stitches (both along an edge, and in the middle of the fabric), short-row shaping, buttonholes, and some seaming / finishing.
This seems like quite a long list of techniques and may seem quite daunting; but these techniques are the same ones that are required in a lot of sweater knitting, and if you take them step-by-step, each one is easy to accomplish.
adorable outerwear for your grouchy little old man
There is no better way to learn than doing right?- so purchase a copy of the pattern, grab your needles and yarn, and follow along as we explain everything in a clear, step-by-step manner. If you have questions, we hope you will post your comments, or email us and we will make every attempt to incorporate the answers to your questions into this tutorial.
The Gramps Cardigan tutorial is created as a series of 6 illustrated posts, clearly explaining each of the techniques required to knit the Gramps Cardigan.
- 2/6 Beginning your Sweater: Yarn and needle selection, knitting a gauge swatch, Understanding knitting pattern schematics.
- 3/6 Top-Down Sweater Construction: Yoke: Pattern Reading, and Increasing & Decreasing stitches to form Yoke
- 4/6 Top-Down Sweater Construction: Body & Arms: Separating sweater at the Underarm, casting-on stitches using backward loop method, and knitting in the round
- 5/6 Shawl Collar and Button Band: Picking Up Stitches along an edge, Short-Row Shaping, Buttonholes, Binding off in Pattern
- 6/6 Finishing Touches: Working Patch Pockets – Picking up stitches in the middle of knitted fabric, seaming, elbow patches
Gramps Cardigan on Ravelry.com
Ravelry.com is a fabulous community and resource for knitters and crocheters all over the world. On Ravelry you can check out the Gramps sweaters that other people have knit, read their suggestions, and see what yarn and colour combinations they chose. It is a great place to start before any project!
For Knitting Instructors
This material is also intended to be useful to those who teach knitting. If you are a shop owner who runs knitting classes, and would like to use this tutorial for instruction, you are welcome to do so. Tin Can Knits wholesales books and single leaflet patterns to knitting shops in Canada, the USA and the UK, if you are interested in carrying our products, please contact us.
SHARE the knit knowledge :::
Do you have knitting friends who could use this tutorial? Share this post, or let them know about the great free patterns they could try from The Simple Collection. And join in the conversation on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Ravelry!
More TCK sweater patterns with in depth tutorials: