the SIMPLE COLLECTION ::: a preview

June 3, 2013

Tin Can Knits Simple Collection

SIMPLE INGREDIENTS, DELICIOUS KNITS ::: This year at Tin Can Knits we explore the basic ingredients of knitting.  The Simple Collection has quick accessories and simple sweaters, sized from newborn to grandpa, in worsted weight yarn and best of all – the patterns are all free for you to use and share with your friends!

Tin Can Knits Simple Collection Patterns

click the image for a closer look!

What is the SIMPLE COLLECTION?
♥  8 new FREE patterns – scarf, blanket, cowl, hat, mitts, socks, pullover, and a cardigan too!  Featuring the clear and concise pattern writing that you expect from Tin Can Knits.

♥ ♥  Patterns sized from newborn to grandpa (16+ sizes – 0-6 months to 4XL) so you can knit for your cute little monster or your beautiful self.

♥ ♥ ♥  Comprehensive learn-to-knit tutorials covering all of the techniques you need to make each of these designs (also available as PDF hand-outs for knitting teachers).

WHY make it SIMPLE?  From casting on, to turning the heel of your very first sock, the Simple Collection designs and tutorials are designed for new knitters, and knitters returning to the craft who are unfamiliar with newer techniques that we use in our popular seamless sweater designs.  When teaching knitting, it can be hard to find high-quality free hand-outs, so we have made the Simple Collection tutorials available as print-ready PDFs to provide an excellent resource for teachers!

Tin Can Knits Simple Collection

COMFORT KNITS ::: The Simple Collection is modern and simple, but still cozy and comfortable.  Garter stitch, ribbing and stockinette allows hand-dyed yarns in earthy yellows, subdued greens and rich browns to really shine.  If you are looking for the knit equivalent of comfort food (oatmeal with brown sugar, buttery popcorn, and freshly-baked bread), then you have come to the right place!

FIRST TIMERS – join us in making exquisite knits :::  Even if you have never knit before, follow along with the patterns as they are released over the coming months.  Starting with knit and purl, build up the skills you need to make a sweater this fall!  Do you have a secret dream about making your loved one some cozy socks, or perhaps a tiny sweater for the bump who will soon be a baby?  Leave a comment, and tell us about what you would love to make!

WHEN CAN I START ??? The first two beginner designs (the Malt Blanket and the Wheat Scarf) will be launched in the next week!  The rest of the designs and tutorials will come out one at a time over the next 6 months or so!  Be sure to get our email updates so we can tell you about new patterns and subscriber-only special offers!

SHARE THE LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥ Creating the Simple Collection is one way for us to give back to the knitting community that has been so generous and supportive of us over the years.  We know that not everybody can afford to pay for knitting patterns. Also, while there are many fabulous free patterns available, we believe that with our experience and attention to detail we can create a really valuable and comprehensive course in the basics, complete with comforting, simple patterns!

PLEASE PAY IT FORWARD ::: Whether you are just now beginning, or are already consummate knitting expert, I am sure there is somebody who took the time to teach you knit and purl, and got you started on our shared obsession!  We ask you to be that person and help get the word out  – share this post by clicking the links for Facebook, Twitter, Email, or Pinterest at the bottom of the post.  Thanks in advance for helping to make the Simple Collection a success!

Tin Can Knits easy peasy patterns perfect for beginners:

Easy Peasy hatWaffles blanket

1. Ann permalink
    December 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Can’t wait to get the Harvest pattern – already have the perfect yarn picked out.

2. November 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Just discovered your site and patterns today. Fantastic! I’ve already been sharing with my friends who are wanna’ be or novice knitters. :) I see that “Harvest” was in the line up for November. Are you still planning to release the pattern? Thank you for the simple, modern designs that look amazing. Your patterns are sure to encourage success and a sense of accomplishment for beginners. The great looks will satisfy even experienced knitters. Thanks again for your generosity!

• December 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Deadlines… they sometimes slip! Harvest is going to be our Christmas present to our fans! It’s coming out very very soon!

• Pat Mielniczuk permalink
        December 21, 2013 5:31 pm

I’ve been looking for this pattern. Am I missing the pattern or is it not available yet?

• December 22, 2013 1:25 pm

The Harvest Cardigan (if that’s the one you’re referring too) is coming out on Christmas Day! Check back then.

• Pat Mielniczuk permalink
        December 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks so much for your reply about Harvest. I am so looking forward to this pattern.

3. Beth permalink
    November 26, 2013 9:40 am

Your great tutorial for the Flax sweater is just what I needed to take the plunge and make a sweater. I see reference above to a cardigan called Harvest, will that be coming out sometime? I would love to learn that too! Thank you!

4. Alisa permalink
    November 16, 2013 8:38 am

The yarn used on these projects is gorgeous and I’m in love with it! What brand is used?

5. October 25, 2013 6:54 am

I have just finished one of the rye socks for my son! Yipeee! Your patterns are so straight forward and I love the image tutorials. I am a visual learner and these have helped me greatly! Eventhough I have knit sweaters and hats I have never knit socks. They always scarred me! Thanks so much for your help! When will your Flax sweaters patterns be out?
    Thanks you, have pinned you on pinterest and spreading the love!

6. Patti R. permalink
    October 15, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks so much for these inspirational and beautiful patterns from a group of soon to be knitters meeting up to celebrate an incredible person’s 37th birthday by learning to knit!

7. September 29, 2013 1:48 am

I just made Barley for my son, the scarf will come soon, and the mitts too. I will made them too for me, with socks and cardigan, and the pullover for my son again… I think I will made all the collection… ;)

8. Jenifer permalink
    September 19, 2013 10:46 am

I can’t wait for the sweater. The glimpse in the photos has got my knit juices flowing! Need a test knitter to help along with your finalization process? :-)

9. September 19, 2013 8:38 am

As a knitting instructor, I love to share where new knitters can find stylish, well-written patterns! The designs are great! I tried on the hat at the shop and it’s adorable! I think I’ll need to make the cowl, too. Thank you so much.

10. August 21, 2013 7:38 am

I’d love an easy to follow pattern so I can finally learn to make socks!!

• September 3, 2013 6:31 pm

Coming soon! We are just putting the finishing touches on our Rye socks.

11. Kate permalink
    August 19, 2013 10:28 am

I have got to make the hat and the little guy’s sweater for my little guy! I just downloaded the hat pattern, but I can’t find the sweater…

12. Sue S. permalink
    August 17, 2013 4:14 pm

How generous of you to offer so many patterns, and in different sizes! You guys are awesome! Thanks! I hope to try a sweater!

13. FionaH permalink
    July 30, 2013 11:35 am

So I’m ready for my first pattern, I think! Can someone help me as I don’t quite understand guages yet? I’m going to start with Wheat Scarf first which states a gauge of 14sts and 28 rows/4 inch in garter stitch – what does this mean?? Forgive my dumb questions!

• August 2, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi Fiona

Don’t worry about gauge for your first scarf, it doesn’t really matter for a scarf, if it’s a little bigger or smaller no big deal. I promise a tutorial will be ready for gauge soon!

A

14. July 29, 2013 3:01 pm

What a lovely way to help teach others knitting. I like that the patterns build on earlier skills. I look forward to using this collection to teach new knitters.

15. Karen heggs permalink
    July 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Still scared of socks!

• July 18, 2013 12:59 am

I was scared of socks too… until I tried one and found out how simple they are really! Hopefully the simple socks will cure you of this fear!

16. Dawn Friday permalink
    July 3, 2013 4:09 am

I’ve recently began teaching myself to knit, so this is a fantastic opportunity for me. Easy patterns, step by step instructions, with you along to guide me through each one, this is just what I need to become the knitter I’ve always wanted to be.
    The patterns looks wonderful and I can’t wait to get started!!!
    Thanks so much for your generosity!

17. Island Jay permalink
    June 20, 2013 11:29 pm

What a great idea and I love your patterns. I have a pair of socks on a set of needles that I just can’t seem to get the hang of. I can knit & purl but would like to learn to knit properly. If you can teach me that it would be fantastic!

18. annabelle2 permalink
    June 16, 2013 5:40 am

I’ve been knitting for a while and always love to share the love of knitting with others. Such wonderful instructions will make this much easier to do now. What better way to keep new knitters interested than with wonderful patterns. I’ll share the love….thank you for sharing with us. Looking forward to the next patterns as well.

19. June 16, 2013 5:37 am

What a great idea! I’ve been knitting for a while but always love the opportunity to share the love of knitting with others. This will be a great tool! Thank you for sharing!

20. Lorna permalink
    June 15, 2013 1:42 am

I’ve just been asked to teach two young ladies to knit who I know through work. I’m 50 (and was taught to knit at primary school in Scotland) and they are in their twenties (and were never taught to knit). This series of tutorials is perfect as your designs and approach are appealing to all of us. Thank you so much for your generous spirits.

21. Bronwyn permalink
    June 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Just saw these today! I can’t wait to knit them all!

22. Karin permalink
    June 14, 2013 6:20 pm

You rock! This is an amazing gift you have put together. Just yesterday I was at my LYS and a woman came in with her 7yr old to ask about lessons for her (she had a garter stitch scarf going that her grandma helped her get started on) and my LYS owner asked if I could give her some help (I don’t teach there) we had a blast and boy, she was a cool kid. Anyhow, her mom called later and asked if she could set up a weekly hour for her daughter with me! Not only is this girl going to be an amazing knitter, I have a strong feeling she may become a designer. I hope to knit your simple collection with her, how fantastic would that be? Thank you so much!

23. Charlotte permalink
    June 12, 2013 9:20 am

This looks like it’s a must – even for those of us who’ve been knitting awhile! Great stuff as ever!

24. June 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Thank you to your generous idea. I will be ready and waiting all patterns. I also will share your lovely project in my blog. :)

25. June 5, 2013 9:32 am

So pretty! I love this idea…everything about it! I’m actually having a craft day later in June to gather with some of my friends who are crafters, knitters, sewers, etc. I will definitely be sharing this info with them.

I’d love to make one of those little boy sweaters! Precious!

26. JoAnn permalink
    June 4, 2013 6:17 pm

thank you girls for your generosity and your caring about the normal everyday housewife and mother who wants to knit things for her family but doesnt quite know how nor can she afford to pay for a pattern or the outrageous priced yarn. normal people living from paycheck to paycheck cant indulge in high priced yarns but patterns that accommodate a worsted weight yarn like lion brand or red heart or bernat now thats a do! so knitting doesnt turn into a rich women only hobby but its something a regular woman can do to cloth her family with the work from her hands! :)

27. Crystal permalink
    June 4, 2013 3:41 pm

I wish there was some kind of award for you two! Your contribution to the knitting world has been incredible! There really should be an award. You continually create high quality, beautiful patterns and Gaarg there is not enough time for all of them! Look at all the exclamation points you made me use!
    seriously, though, thank you so much.

28. Miss Agnes permalink
    June 4, 2013 9:51 am

Gorgeous yarns for beautiful patterns, I’m sure. What a great idea! Congratulations and thank you very much for making this available to all.
    I will share with my knitting club pals, some of whom are beginners. I have no doubt they will love to try out some of these models. I will try them out myself as soon as they become available. More great hours of knitting ahead thanks to you both.

29. June 4, 2013 9:41 am

I am not a bginner – or a returner – but I love your designs. I’m looking forward to knitting a few of them Thanks for making them free.

30. Anna permalink
    June 4, 2013 1:55 am

Such a great idea!! What brand of yarns have you used for the projects? Love the colors!

31. June 3, 2013 7:10 pm

This is so exciting! I’ve enjoyed knitting a few of your patterns already and look forward to knitting more! I love the little hat and the cardigan looks so comfy!

32. florapie permalink
    June 3, 2013 3:49 pm

Such a brilliant idea! I will pass this along to all the new knitters I know. You guys continue to amaze me!

33. Bridy permalink
    June 3, 2013 2:17 pm

Septembers sweater looks so great! is it with worsted weight yarn?

• Bridy permalink
      June 3, 2013 2:20 pm

well yes it is! haha, I noticed it now says all projects in ww

34. cindy permalink
    June 3, 2013 1:16 pm

You guys are the BEST!!! Thanks so much. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

35. Debra permalink
    June 3, 2013 10:39 am

So excited! Cannot wait for this and will let my friends and new knitters know. Thank you!

36. Melissa permalink
    June 3, 2013 10:28 am

What a lovely (and generous) idea! I love all your patterns and I am no less excited for these, simpler, back-to-basics patterns! I can’t wait to knit flax for my handsome little nephew and perhaps finally knitting a cardigan (Harvest) for myself :)

37. Jennilyn Robbie permalink
    June 3, 2013 9:59 am

I am looking forward to learning to knit socks!! I vowed to teach myself this year, so perhaps with your help, my dream will come true! Yay!

38. Tina W permalink
    June 3, 2013 9:36 am

This is amazing! I have a friend who really wants to learn to knit this summer. I was struggling with where to begin; no more! This will be perfect! Thank you!

39. June 3, 2013 9:32 am

Emily and Alexa You guys are awesome!

Deborah

40. June 3, 2013 9:32 am

I’ve been knitting for several years now and though I have the necessary skills to do more complex work, it’s always the simple that I choose. Simple is, to me, beautiful. I’m very much looking forward to these patterns, and thank you so much for your generosity in sharing them!

41. June 3, 2013 9:29 am

I’d love to knit my way through your book– together with my daughter Molly :)
    Many thanks– love your designs.
    dee

42. Linda permalink
    June 3, 2013 9:27 am

I am continuely amazed by Tin Can Knits, keep up the impressive work! Does it count that when I do attend a class at my LYS, I help?

• June 3, 2013 9:44 am

Of course that helps! Keep up the encouragement and continue sharing the knit love!

43. Laura permalink
    June 3, 2013 9:21 am

I can not wait! These are great. You and your patterns rock :c)

44. June 3, 2013 9:13 am

What an amazing idea!! This looks fantastic. Whenever I teach new knitters, I usually start with a garter stitch cowl in a yarn that feels really amazing, so that they have something wearable in a short amount of time. And i see you’ve got a cowl all lined up, which is perfect!

1. Classes Schedule for Autumn 2014 | Be Inspired Fibres Yarn Shop