Picking up and Knitting Stitches

December 24, 2013

Picking up stitches sounds intimidating but let’s work through it! The following example is a sock but the principles are the same when picking up stitches from stockinette no matter the project.

pickup2

::: how to pick up stitches :::

To pick up stitches you need the right side of your work facing you (the knit side).

Step 1:  Insert your needle into the stitch or between rows (from RS to WS)
Step 2:  Loop the yarn around your needle (at the back of work)
Step 3:  Pull the loop through to the RS (using the needle tip, as though you were knitting a stitch)

Now you will have a stitch on your right hand needle. You have picked up a stitch!

1. Mary permalink
    February 21, 2018 11:47 am

Thank you for the free patterns! I have knitted the flax pullover and love the pattern. Now I am doing the Harvest cardigan.
    I am knitting the 1 to 2 yrs size and I am having a problem right after picking up stitches around the collar. The pattern reads-
    ‘Setup row (WS): knit to marker, p3, PM, p14 (17, 18 19,
    17, 18, 18, 23, 21, 23, 21, 21, 22, 20, 23, 23, 25) sts, PM,
    p24 (28, 30, 32, 32, 37, 37, 42, 43, 47, 47, 48, 53, 56, 61,
    64, 67) sts, PM, p14 (17, 18, 19, 17, 18, 18, 23, 21, 23, 21,
    21, 22, 20, 23, 23, 25) sts, PM, p3 (this brings you to the
    last marker), knit to end’.

My stitch count is as follows -8 sts for the garter edge=8+3+18+30+18+3+8=88 but the pattern says I should have 92.
    what am I doing wrong?? Any help appreciated.
    Thanks!

• Mary permalink
      February 21, 2018 11:50 am

Just realized my garter edge should be 10!

• February 28, 2018 9:01 am

Hi Mary – I think I answered this question on Ravelry? You should have 10 edge sts for your size.

• Delores Barthold permalink
      March 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Hey i am doing the size 2 years to 4 and i am having the same issue i am not sure how many rows am to knit for the collar i pick and knit for the set up row and i am short stitches i took it out 3 time now and i started over

• March 21, 2018 11:29 am

Hi Mary – sorry, which pattern are you working on? (the comment is on the ‘Picking up and knitting stitches so I’m not 100% sure)

2. Ginamorrison316@yahoo.com permalink
    March 11, 2017 8:20 am

Making this harvest cardigan now and wondering when picking up stitches along the collar do you pick up both strands of the stitch or one strand? Thank you

• March 11, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Gina – I usually go in both strands, I find it makes for a cleaner pick up.

• Ginamorrison316@yahoo.com permalink
        March 11, 2017 11:08 am

I’ll do the same then thank you

3. barbara permalink
    November 19, 2016 6:34 pm

how do you pick up and knit on a circular needle

4. March 21, 2016 2:58 pm

I’m not sure I understand the pick up xx stitches every xx rows. This needs a bit of clarification. I had picked up all 70 stitches and then took them out realizing it wasn’t right.

• March 22, 2016 9:57 am

To pick up x sts for x rows you will pick up a few sts in each row then skip a row. If, for example, you are picking up 3 sts for 4 rows, you would pick up a stitch in each row for 3 rows, then skip one row, then pick up 3 sts in each row for 3 rows, then skip 1 row, etc.

5. Sarah permalink
    May 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks for your tutorials – I’m about to knit my first cardigan, Harvest Knit. Could you please explain to me how to pick up xx stitches every xx rows? Does it mean I’m not picking up every available stitch? Won’t this leave holes in the cardigan?

• March 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Did you ever get it figured out?

• January 27, 2017 1:01 pm

hey Sarah. I had a hole issue. Maybe I did something wrong as I knit contin etnal but I had the feeling that the fourth (skipped) stitsch left a rather large hole. In the end it wasn’t a disaster, but it’s not as neat as I would like…

6. Ana Valbuena permalink
    January 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Qué fácil lo haces! Muchas gracias