My First Blanket

April 16, 2014

IMG_8963A couple questions Emily and I often get asked are: how long have you been knitting and how did you learn to knit. For me, I’ve been knitting for 15 years and I taught myself from a book. Not a ‘learn to knit book’ (that would be too easy), it was a stitchionary from the 70’s, a book full of different stitch patterns and a few pithy instructions on the knit and purl stitches.

So what did I knit? I started with a super ugly swatch. Not necessarily ugly because of my knitting (although that obviously needed improvement), it was ugly because it was in a hideous shade of purple in a squeaky acrylic yarn; but I was so proud! That didn’t stop me though, I knit a garter stitch scarf that evened out my tension and then I turned my eye to my very first design project: a blanket.

IMG_8974

Because I was working with a stitchionary it seemed like the best thing to do was to work my way through the different types of stitches, some cables, some lace, and some texture. I started creating 6 foot strips of different stitches (still in horrible yarn, I didn’t learn about natural fibers until a few years later). I learned how the different stitches worked as I went, with a lot of missteps along the way. I made not one but three of these blankets!

IMG_8970

The finished project is still around, my mum just brought one by for me to fix a few weeks ago. It has some easily fixed holes (they are only at the seams) and then it will be sent back to continue its life as a couch blanket.

IMG_8976

What was your first knit project?

More blankies from Tin Can Knits :::

1. Merino Royale permalink
    June 30, 2014 1:05 am

Lovely knitt wool blanket. Very nice pictures!
    congratulations

2. Sara A. permalink
    April 23, 2014 8:38 pm

One of my good friends from college was a prolific knitter and taught me how, provided me with some oddments of yarn and some needles to practice with. I knit my boyfriend the ugliest garter stitch scarf with the wrongest needles for the yarn I think they were 17s and the yarn was a bulky much more suited for 11s or 13s in orange, yellow, and red color blocks. Then I got caught up in quilting and sewing and forgot about knitting for a while. After my daughter was born, I was looking for something to keep busy with while she was doing tummy time or whatever. I found the yarn and needles in a corner and set to making a black ribbed scarf for my husband. Then, I jumped into knitting with both feet and did socks and a lace hat and I don’t think I’ve gone a week without something on the needles since.

3. April 17, 2014 7:55 am

Beautiful blanket! Impressive first project. I approached knitting a little most cautiously with a twisted ribbed hat. Great way to learn a few different techniques, but I was in an class with a patient teacher. Now I want to make a nice blanket too!

4. April 16, 2014 9:46 pm

There is no such thing as a hideous purple. I’m sure of it! My first project was a hideous gold garter stitch scarf that took me most of my 9th grade school year to knit. It was in hideous acrylic, that old, scratchy kind. I love the choices we have in yarns and patterns now, the 80’s almost did us in.

• April 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Oh, how I wish I had a photo of this hideous purple! I think it might be un-photographable if I still had it. Lols

5. slippedstitches permalink
    April 16, 2014 9:16 pm

A purple turtleneck sweater with a peplum and the sleeves were puffed at the top and grew narrower toward the wrist. My stitches were so tight I had to struggle to insert the needle. Knitting five stitches was a full body work out. Then I learned the fine art of tension. To this day, my knit stitches let me know whether I am relaxed or tense.

6. April 16, 2014 1:39 pm

My first knit project was a scarf, just a way to remember how it worked because I had learned a while ago but never really stuck at it. Then it was a small cowl, and I learned to knit in the round. And quite quickly I decided to do a blanket as well, for my daughter. She chose the yarn, not a wonderful one but fair enough, chose the colors and I followed a relatively simple pattern.
    I think a blanket is a great way to become an experienced knitter: it is quite a long project, so the repetition of stitches helps you even out your tension, and simply get better at manipalting your needles, the yarn, everything…

7. FoFo permalink
    April 16, 2014 11:46 am

Very pretty blanket! I’m afraid of cables and lace, I’m determined to learn though. My first knitted project was a scarf made from this thick and thin yarn by Lion Brand. It is wool and very heavy. Not really good for where I live because we don’t get really cold.

• April 16, 2014 9:53 pm

There’s nothing like a scarf (or a strip of a blanket) to really get your practice in on a stitch. I will say it’s not the most efficient way to learn but it works every time!