Alexa’s Sweater Plan

February 11, 2015

With the year of the sweater underway (if you missed it details are here) it is time to make a serious wardrobe assessment for myself. I only really have 1 knitted sweater for myself, my Antler cardigan. While I have a lot of kiddie sweaters and a few designs planned for 2015 I will also be knitting 3 sweaters for me!

First up is a Prairie Fire pullover. I’m going to knit it in the GORGEOUS Rainbow Heirloom Sweater Emily gave me for Christmas (the color is Black Cherry, of course). I have knit a few smaller sizes of this sweater and I love it. The lace repeat isn’t too tough for me to memorize but it probably won’t be conversational knitting.

Conversational knitting definition: knitting that can be done while carrying on a conversation. The opposite of conversation knitting would be quiet corner knitting.

Rainbow Heirloom Sweater in ‘black cherry’

Which brings me to a dilemma. I have this beautiful yellow (it’s called Princess Phone) in Plucky Sweater. I originally intended to knit myself a Gramps sweater with a nice brown contrast color, but now I’m thinking I would love a Flax in this color. Decisions decisions.

Plucky Knitter Plucky Sweater in 'princess phone'

Plucky Knitter Plucky Sweater in ‘princess phone’

I also have a beautiful stash of Tanis Fiber Arts Amber Label DK in ‘seabreeze’. I am going to knit myself a Windswept sweater in it, but I think I’ll make it a cardigan instead of a pullover (I’ll post all the details, don’t worry). I love the lace panel on the Windswept and have been wanting to knit one since Emily first showed me a sketch!

Tanis Fiber Arts Amber Label DK in ‘seabreeze’

So my question for you is, which sweater are you knitting for yourself in the year of the sweater? Do you throw on a pullover? Prefer an open cardigan?

sweaters Alexa is knitting in 2015

Working on #tck12sweaters2015 ? Join in the conversation on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Ravelry!

Tin Can Knits on FacebookTin Can Knits on Instagram Tin Can Knits on Twitter Tin Can Knits on Pinterest Tin Can Knits Email Updates Tin Can Knits on Ravelry

1. February 13, 2015 3:22 pm

i love your black cherry and sea swept color ways! Such beautiful yarn!! I am learning socks this year but have 3 different sweater kits on the horizon, one of which is the Dark and Stormy top-down sweater on Ravelry. Another is the cable hoodie from Interweave Knits. Both of them are huge projects for me and I am hesitant to start one of them, especially since I have never made myself a sweater, and the only one I ever made didn’t fit the intended recipient. I need to get over that I suppose. Thanks for sharing your plans for knitterly 2015! I enjoy reading your blog!

2. February 13, 2015 12:02 am

I’d like to knit a pullover out of a lightweight bulky yarn, so it’s thick, but not heavy. I’m spinning the wool for it, so who knows when it will be done!

3. Elaine permalink
    February 12, 2015 5:16 pm

I love your choices of the 3 sweaters!! I am currently knitting Jackaroo Cardigan: First Fall 2013 Knitty in Foula wool from the Foula Island in Scotland with my Hand-spun alpaca and wool for ribbing. I was afraid I’d run out of the Foula. I’m also working on Turtleneck Jacket from Knit.Wear fall/winter 2013. I’m treating it like a canvas and will applique/sew pieces of Japanese Boro (indigo dyed cotton rags) onto the back. The yarn for this is Condon’s wool from P.E.I. and is for outerwear as is the Foula. I will make a double collar on the Turtleneck jacket to take care of the itch factor!!

I really enjoy your website and have the Antler Pattern in my queue too!!

4. SuthernGirl permalink
    February 12, 2015 5:36 am

It’s all cardigans for me. I love to layer and they fit the bill better for that. An Ivar is almost finished, a Chicane for my grandson goes on the needles next, and then another yet to be decided cardi for me…..with a few socks, scarves, etc shoved between! There is something, too, about being able to leave a cardi hanging over a chair as eye candy for me where a pullover is just something I need to fold and put away.

5. February 11, 2015 4:30 pm

I’m finishing a complex sweater for Spring, and a bulky cardigan for the rest of the winter. i want to knit a Flax for my son, and at least two lightweight sweaters for summer, short sleeved dolman. And I need cardigans, so I intend a fair number of my 12 projects to be cardigans. Oh yes, I have a Seabreeze lace tunic to finish too…love your Seabreeze stash.

6. February 11, 2015 3:49 pm

Harvest for me. Hopefully 2 additional sweaters as well. I usually prefer cardigans.

7. Katie Lynn permalink
    February 11, 2015 1:56 pm

My knitting is split between cardigans and pullovers. But all of the cardigans I knit are with positive ease, or meant to be worn open. Every cardigan I’ve knit that has been meant to be worn closed has done weird things.

8. February 11, 2015 12:57 pm

I just found your blog and subscribed to your newsletter ;–)) I have come back to knitting after a very long break ( began learning to knit from my Grandmere when I was about 5!! And am now 71 !!) . I will knitting your Antler cardigan which I absolutely LOVE! Just sent for pattern and am casting around (hahaha) for yarn…hugs, beautiful site and great tutorials…Julierose