A Sweater for Jones

November 5, 2015

GWN-jones-02a

Inspiration is a funny thing. In interviews and when chatting with knitters I am often asked where inspiration comes from, and I always have the same dissatisfying answer: everywhere! Not only do I find inspiration in moments, nature, patterns, colors, feelings, and sometimes even dreams, but that inspiration is not always what it seems. What may at first appear to be a plain, machine knit, brown, cardigan (worn throughout the 80’s and a lot of the 90’s by my Dad), is actually the inspiration for the Jones cardigan!

File3076

It wasn’t so much the design or style of the cardigan that I wanted to capture, but the feeling. The cardigan once belonged to my grandfather and that made it very special to my Dad. I wanted to create a sweater that was classic and timeless that could move through the ages, so I turned to my favorite: cables! While Jones will certainly out-grow the wee size I made him here (I think he already has!), I will undoubtedly knit him his own grown version, and perhaps he will pass it on.

GWN-jones-03a

The Jones sweater is knit from the bottom up, with a drop shoulder sleeve. The shawl collar gives it that ‘grampa’ feel, fitting to my inspiration. While I designed this cardigan for Jonesie, it also looks lovely on little girls and ladies (check out the Ravelry projects for a little inspiration). Who doesn’t love a cabled cardi after all?

GWN-jones-04a

Pattern details for Jones

Sizing
0-6mo (6-12 mo, 1-2y, 2-4y, 4-6y, 6-8y, 8-10y, XS, S, SM, M, ML, L, XL, XXL, 3XL, 4XL)
Finished bust: 18 (19, 20, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35.5, 38, 40, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58) inches

Yarn
400 (450, 500, 600, 750, 900, 1000, 1100, 1300, 1550, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000, 2200, 2400, 2600) yards DK weight yarn (samples shown in Anzula Cricket in ‘elephant’ and ‘madam’)

Needles
US #3 / 3.25mm and US #6 / 4mm  32-47” circular needle and DPNs in each size (or as  required to meet gauge)

GWN-jones-05a

I am starting to plot my Christmas sweaters for 2015 and Jones might just need another Jones!

More cardigans from Tin Can Knits

1. November 10, 2015 2:37 pm

This is gorgeous. I think that I should knit it for my husband and then find lots of “excuses” to borrow it.

2. knittedblissjc permalink
    November 6, 2015 9:43 am

Such a stunning cardigan, and I love how the cables emphasize the drop shoulders- looks so classic and perfect.

3. Kathie permalink
    November 6, 2015 8:46 am

I love this sweater – I also love where you found your inspiration!

4. Amy C permalink
    November 5, 2015 5:50 pm

This is just what I’ve been looking for (and hadn’t been able to put into coherent thought) for my grandson. I can see my husband wearing it too.

5. November 5, 2015 2:57 pm

I think you have a winner. Yours is the first pattern I really want to knit for my husband, despite the fact that he is quite tall and it will probably cost a small fortune in yarn. But I do see him wearing it forever, so it would definitely be worth it. And it is the first pattern he seems to like too.

6. barbarajoancarson permalink
    November 5, 2015 11:11 am

hi – what book is pattern Playdate from? Also if i just order a book or pattern can i pay by Master card? Am a bit nervous about ussing my credit card over the internet. Would appreciate hearing from you – thanks – Barbara Carson

• November 6, 2015 9:49 am

Hi Barbara – Playdate is from Max and Bodhi’s Wardrobe. We use paypal for our payments (you can purchase either through our website or Ravelry.

7. November 5, 2015 10:49 am

Absolutely gorgeous!

8. Sara Wutzke permalink
    November 5, 2015 10:47 am

Ohh! I’m looking for a twelfth sweater to round out my year and old growth looks perfect!

SallyHP Knits http://www.SallyHP.etsy.com Sent from my iPhone