Christmas with Tin Can Knits

January 7, 2016

Emily and I were busy little bees with our 12 days of Christmas, so we kicked back hard and took a little break to spend time with our family and friends. We ate, drank, and were merry!

Max with Daddy and Grandpa

Max with Daddy and Grandpa

IMG_4911-ed

Cousins!

Hunter singing carols with Nana

Hunter singing carols with Nana

Jones telling Ellis all about his new Dinosaur

Jones telling Ellis all about his new Dinosaur

Bodhi showing Grandpa her mousie

Bodhi showing Grandpa her mousie

But did we mention the Christmas sweaters? Oh, there were Christmas sweaters! I’m not sure how long I can keep this up with the three kiddos, but I have enjoyed putting them in hand knit sweaters for their picture on Santa’s knee from the beginning. This year Emily (the model) knit one up for Ellis too! There was something so great about having all 4 cousins in their woolies for Christmas.

D-17-0602-ed

Not to be out-done Emily whipped up a peanut vest for Max as well. He is looking mighty classy in his black and grey!

Max-peanut

Max’s Peanut Vest Project Details:

Pattern: Peanut Vest from Max & Bodhi’s Wardrobe

Yarn: Rainbow Heirloom Sweater in New Asphalt and Apparition

IMG_5830-sm

My three little monkeys in their Christmas best!

Bodhi-Frozen

Bodhi’s Frozen Sweater Project Details:

Pattern: Frozen sweater by Lili Comme Tout

Yarn: Hazel Knits DK Lively in ‘Emerald City’

Jones-peanut

Jonesies Peanut Vest Poject Details:

Pattern: Peanut Vest from Max & Bodhi’s Wardrobe, modified for a heavier yarn

Hack: I used worsted weight yarn, 5mm needles. I knit the 1-2 year size, with the 2-4 year lengths, plus an extra inch at the bottom. I used a 3rd color for all the ribbing.

Yarn: Quince and Co Lark

Hunter is pleased as punch with her sweater

Hunter is pleased as punch with her sweater

Hunter’s Britannia Sweater Project Details:

Pattern: Britannia

Yarn: Sweetgeorgia Superwash DK in ‘Slate’

Now, the lesson I learned this year is: with 3 sweaters needed (and kiddos requiring larger sizes by the minute) it is advisable to start next years Christmas sweaters now…and knit them big! I’m thinking maybe a blue theme next year…

So tell me, do you have any favorite holiday photos with hand knit items?

Possible sweaters for next year….

1. Cindi Cowart permalink
    January 19, 2016 3:09 am

Thanks for sharing inspiring photos of your sweet family modeling your gorgeous knitted creations. I really appreciate your generosity in gifting twelve of your patterns during the holidays and look forward to eventually knitting thru the entire batch.

2. Andrea permalink
    January 12, 2016 8:43 pm

I hope your Christmas sweater tradition never ends! I only managed one Prairie Fire for one bitty niece. My own larger daughters wore t-shirts and jeans when we visited Santa.

3. Laura O'Grady permalink
    January 9, 2016 3:46 pm

How very sweet the children were looking. What a great memory for you to have. Thank you kindly for your generous Christmas gift to your knitting fans. The twelve free patterns were greatly appreciated. I plan on knitting many of them for my sisters for next year. This year I knit an accessory for each of them (all four) and made the fabric gift bags in which they were “wrapped”. My 14-year-old nephew was so impressed (I am the only one living away from home so was not present for the gift opening) that everything was handmade. I thought it was so cute that a 14-year-old boy would even notice that! Wait until he see the Tin Can patterns next year! Happy 2016.

4. Lisa S permalink
    January 8, 2016 8:21 pm

What a cute bunch of kiddies all dressed up! Thank you for your generous 12 Days of Christmas! It was such a delight! Will be checking out your site for your other patterns here on out! :)
    Happy 2016!

5. January 7, 2016 2:56 pm

Thank you for sharing your beautiful family (as well as your beautiful patterns!)! Your work is lovely and very inspiring!

6. January 7, 2016 1:27 pm

The kids,are,so cute and getting big…thanks for sharing them and the great sweaters, etc.

7. jatshaw permalink
    January 7, 2016 12:22 pm

You are so right! You can never start too early, especially with each sweater taking longer as they grow. Love the ones you made.

8. Elizabeth permalink
    January 7, 2016 11:54 am

I am so jealous and amazed that you two busy moms knit such beautiful clothes for your lucky families ! You make me want to be a better knitter ❤️‼️

9. January 7, 2016 10:15 am

Gorgeous!! I’ve just finished the “Jones” cardigan and loved every minute of it! Thanks for sharing :)

10. Diane Cooper permalink
    January 7, 2016 9:54 am

Happy New Year!! I hope you enjoyed your well deserved breaks!!
    Thank you so much for your generous 12 days of Christmas patterns- I didn’t snag them all, but I did grab a few- I am looking forward to trying them out as my knitting improves!!!
    Your patterns and yarn choices are exactly what I like!!

Thanks again!!

Diane Cooper

11. January 7, 2016 8:58 am

I love the kids’ sweater tradition! Great sweaters and photos :) And wanted to say thanks for the 12 days of Christmas patterns. I’m looking forward to knitting them throughout the year!

12. January 7, 2016 8:32 am

Those are gorgeous sweaters! I have exactly two photos of Christmas knits right now; however am hoping to have more soon. My box went out late and should be arriving today or tomorrow. Thanks again for the 12 Days of Knits! I’m so excited to knit everything :D

13. January 7, 2016 7:56 am

all sweaters are gorgeous!!! I did take pics during christmas but no knitter items, Im afraid – sorry. Cheers bjmonitas

14. smonakey permalink
    January 7, 2016 6:58 am

The kids are all so adorable! I love the dinosaur picture – the boys look like they’re having a really serious discussion!. Because I truly suck at actually finishing things, I have few great kid in handknit sweater pics in my files.

15. January 7, 2016 6:11 am

What beautiful children you have. Your family looks so friendly and wonderful. Your sweaters are, of course, gorgeous. Lucky little ones and a lucky Mom and Dad. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. Thanks for all of your lovely knitting!