Antler, my Bread and Butter

June 9, 2016

Antler

While I am thoroughly enjoying the year of something new, I am taking a break and indulging in some bread and butter knitting. What’s that you ask? It is some simple, satisfying knitting, usually a ‘go to’ pattern with just enough interest to keep me going as a knitter. My first bread and butter project is an Antler cardigan, for me! It is a project I’ve been contemplating for some time now…

Antler

Last year Emily completed a BEAUTIFUL Antler cardi in the Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted in ‘honey wilkes’ and it definitely made me jealous! Once she was finished she popped Max in the original Antler sample from Pacific Knits to grab this lovely mother-son shot. This photo is everything we envisioned when we set out to create patterns sized from baby to big!

Mmmmm, Honey Wilkes

Mmmmm, Honey Wilkes

The Antler is also one of our go-to baby projects. Emily made this little pink one for her niece, I knit this deep blue version with mis-matchy buttons for Jones (although Bodhi is modelling it like a star here), a neutral but lovely brown one (complete with Antler buttons) for baby Trevor, and Emily whipped up a wee one for her nephew Sawyer (modeled here by the incomparable Max).

So the seed was planted, I might need another Antler cardi. I had made one a while ago in a bright and fun orange (Madelinetosh Vintage in ‘tomato’), but I felt my wardrobe was missing something a little more subdued in the sweater department. Then I saw my lovely friend Natalie (make of the delicious East Van Jam) in her stunning Antler, knit up in the rustic and fabulous Cestari Traditional Collection 2 Ply.

Antler detail

Antler detail

Well, when I was at the Beehive last summer I picked up some Brooklyn Tweed Shelter in ‘pumpernickel‘ for just such an occasion and i have cast on! I will be working on this sweater over the summer, including a few road trips (that’s right, I’m going to keep knitting with woolly wool all through the hot summer months)! The stockinette body is perfect for patio conversation and the cables keep life interesting (like how to NOT lose your cable needle forever when you drop it in the Jeep on the Trans Can).

IMG_6028-ed

What are your ‘bread and butter’ knitting patterns? Those patterns you turn to over and over?

To join in for some Bread and Butter knitting by using the hashtag #breadandbutterknitting  on your favorite social spot!

Tin Can Knits on FacebookTin Can Knits on Instagram Tin Can Knits on Twitter Tin Can Knits on Pinterest Tin Can Knits Email Updates button-ravelry-40

More Bread and Butter sweaters from TCK:

1. needleworkreverie permalink
    June 17, 2016 11:51 am

I’ve knit my daughter 2 flax sweaters one in the 2-4 and another in 4-6 I’m about to knit her and her baby sib flax light in the newborn size. There’s just something really satisfying for me about flax, it’s the only sweater pattern I’ve ever reknit. I also knit worsted vanilla hats for holiday presents. People seem to really like them.

2. June 14, 2016 11:06 pm

I have to say, Flax is a really good go-to sweater! It’s so simple and adaptable. I’m on my second (this one is the Light version) with some minor mods and I love how something so easy can become a finished garment that’s so awesome!

3. June 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Socks. The toe and heel keep me interested, then the foot and cuff are the perfect midless knitting for me.

4. smonakey permalink
    June 10, 2016 9:05 am

I’ve rarely re-knit anything. I always start out planning various mods for my subsequent versions, but by the time i’m done with a project, I never want to knit it again & I’m off to the next new thing.

5. Nadege permalink
    June 10, 2016 7:48 am

Beautiful! First time grandma-to-be and will be knitting this for sure. I cannot find info on the yarn used for the pink Antler cardi. Which yarn might that be?

Bread and butter knitting – so funny, yet so true.

6. MilesofRoyalty permalink
    June 10, 2016 5:12 am

Have to say I love your patterns! So easy to follow and beautiful…. I’m not what my bread and butter is….. Something to think about

7. Vikki permalink
    June 10, 2016 4:57 am

Churchmouse Basic Sock, Gretchen, any stitch that i like with any of the “I only have one skein of this” and it usually turns into a rectangular shawl/scarf

8. Kirsty permalink
    June 10, 2016 1:05 am

My go to comfort project is Susie Rogers fingerless reading mitts. I don’t wear them myself but I know the pattern by heart and I’ve made so may pairs. I have gifted them to friends of mine, of my husband and those friends of my children and also to some of the elderly folks I look after. I might get round to a pair for me, one day.

9. Gunni permalink
    June 9, 2016 11:05 pm

Alex please give me a link to a pattern in 4 ply for a longish vest( sleeveless) for a gurl friend of mine. Thank you so much.

10. Octavia permalink
    June 9, 2016 9:52 pm

Heh – I call it casserole knitting! https://knitoxford.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/knitting-cooking-but-with-sticks-and-string/