A Christmas Sweater for Bodhi

January 4, 2018

So I was knitting along in November, getting all my Christmas knitting done (there wasn’t too much this year), finishing up some WIPs, and working on some new designs when… bam! I just had to cast on a Christmas sweater for Bodhi! This idea hit me like a ton of bricks (as some wild ideas do), and I knew I wanted classic Christmas colours and Fair Isle all the way.

I was inspired by the lovely Vintage Winter sweater from Jess of Ginger Twist. It fit perfectly with my current obsession with Strange Brew yokes and Fair Isle in general. I something timeless, a sweater that would be at home in the pages of a children’s book or a classic holiday movie. I got out my graph paper and set to work!

For my colour palette I went with Tanis Fiber Arts Purewash DK, in Spruce, Poppy, and Natural – a classic combo if ever there was. I wanted the sweater to come out a wee bit big in the hopes that MAYBE it will fit next year too (good luck Alexa), so I cast on the 4-6 with a little extra length.

I loved knitting this sweater. It practically knit itself, which is weird because I feel like sometimes kiddie sleeves take an evening and sometimes they take …. well, forever, and I never know which kind of sleeve it’s going to be. I was so excited to finish this one, and with holiday gatherings, the stockinette portions were great conversational knitting. I finished it up with room to spare, and Bodhi just loved it. She is three and a half and she still loves everything I make her. I overheard her telling her pre-school teachers that her mama made it for her, she was all proud smiles when she said it.

How I made it:

I followed the instructions for the 4-6 year size in the Strange Brew Pattern (our yoke sweater recipe; learn more about this versatile pattern).

Body: I cast on, worked a twisted rib (k1tbl, p1), knit 4 rounds, worked the hem chart, then worked the body in MC and stockinette to the underarm.

Sleeves: Cast on, worked a twisted rib (k1tbl, p1), knit 3 rounds, worked hem chart, then proceeded to increases and worked sleeve as written.

Yoke: I worked the yoke join, then the short row shaping instructions, 4 rounds in MC, then the yoke chart. That took me to 128 sts. I worked 1 round in MC, then worked one final decrease round: k2, (k1, k2tog) around. This gave me a neckline stitch count of 86 sts. I worked a twisted rib again at the neckline

Charts:

Hem Chart

Yoke Chart

I was so pleased with the results, and I was glad I allowed myself this tangential indulgence. At the holidays I often have too many plans, not enough hours in the day, and it can be a poor choice to add something more at the last minute. On the other hand, those can be the things that turn out the best!

My three little sugar plums in their Christmas attire. Jones in his Gramps, Hunter in her Coastal Pullover, and Bodhi in her Strange Brew.

More Festive Knits from TCK:

1. Barb permalink
    January 25, 2018 4:11 pm

I love the colors and pattern, I have several of your patterns

2. Deborah Bowman permalink
    January 7, 2018 9:41 am

Love the color combo.

3. knitkatpaddywhack permalink
    January 6, 2018 3:53 pm

What a sweet little piece! Love it. Also well done on knitting it so quickly with other stuff like Christmas going on. Thank you for sharing how you modify patterns, I think sometimes people are apprehensive about adding their own spin on a pattern. I wrote a post way back about modifying patterns that might interest some: http://knitkatpaddywhack.com/2016/10/modifying-a-knitting-pattern-five-ideas-as-demonstrated-by-my-babys-baptism-gown/?preview=true&frame-nonce=0943f22a65

Also can I ask: when you design pieces do you ever do test runs on a knitting machine to make them more quickly? I’ve never used or even seen a knitting machine but my engineering husband has thought it would be cool because they are quick and efficient and I could make a heap of garments in less time than it takes to hand knit. I’ve wondered if they’re used by people who design lots of things in different sizes just to test how they look. I only design little hats and things for now but would love to do bigger stuff.

Peace,
    Kat

• January 8, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Kat – We usually knit our prototypes etc. by hand, but Emily just got a knitting machine a couple of months ago so she has been working a few sweater bodies on it!

4. Nellie (on ravelry) permalink
    January 4, 2018 2:19 pm

I love the sweater. Think I need to make one. Got the Strange Brew pattern so all I need is yarn. maybe red with green, since green is not my favorite color to wear.

5. sophy0075 permalink