Wool Tweed + Liberty Prints

May 11, 2017
Wool Jacket

So I was loving Max’s little red trousers… but then a friend commented that red trousers are associated with upper crusties, here in the UK anyways, as extensively documented by LAMFRT… so now I’m conflicted!

It’s May, and #memademay and #minimemademay have inspired me to share some of the non-knitting things that I’ve enjoyed making, wearing, and watching my kids romp around in.

I was inspired to make this jacket by Purl Soho’s lovely little Felted Wool Baby Jacket, which I’d come across ages ago. However, I wanted a more ‘grown up’ jacket with a zipper for Max, so I roughly copied a pattern off one of his commercial jackets; making 2 pattern pieces, front (same as the back) and a sleeve.

Max Wool Jacket

My ‘self drafted’ pattern is pretty low tech!

The collar I just made out of a strip, folded over, which I cut to correct length after sewing it to the neckline. I may have stuck some fusible interfacing inside too, but I don’t really remember. I cut the lining using the same pattern pieces, but made the sleeves 2″ longer, so that they could fold over and be hand-sewed down on the outside for the lovely little cuff detail.

Wool Jacket

Little exposed cuff details allow the lining fabric to shine through! I paired a Liberty of London Tana Lawn print with the wool.

Wool Jacket

Wool Tweeds

This is quite a delicious stack… and I may just have a few more squirrelled away!

I love wool tweeds and tartans… And this love, since moving to Scotland, has meant I’ve amassed a not-insignificant stash. On the whole, I don’t allow shame to enter into how I feel about my crafting supplies (design and craft is my day job, right?!). But with the precious and expensive woolen yardage mounting up, well, I admit to feeling a little anxiety and guilt that I own this beautiful stack although I’m really not a very prolific sewer. I guess the answer to that is to get out the scissors and get started!

Lowlands by Tin Can Knits

This was the first version of this jacket that I made. I loved it to bits, and was very sad when he grew out of it. But it gave me the opportunity to make him another!

And now that it’s springtime, Neve will need a little wool jacket (or two?!). I’ve pulled out these two outer/lining combinations. What do you think?

A grey herringbone tweed with 3 possible prints for the lining… I’m leaning toward the rainbow floral at the bottom.

A soft tartan in a 70’s colour combination, with a mustard cotton lining… MMMmmm I’ve got a yellow zipper that would pull this all together perfectly!

Do you branch out and practice other crafts, or do you stick to knitting? I find that exploring other media really inspires me and brings new ideas to my knit design. I’m also working on a By Hand London Victoria blazer, and planning to make some trousers out of some of the woolens in the stack above. I think they’ll pair nicely with my hand knits this spring and next fall.

Wool Jacket

Are you sharing your ‘mini’ makes this May with us using the hashtag #minimemademay? Join in! It’s fun and easy, just tag your photos on Instagram or Twitter, and you can surf the tags for even more inspiration!

Cute knits for the Minis from TCK:

Peanut Vest by Tin Can KnitsUndertone Cowl

1. May 12, 2017 10:11 am

That BAM tattoo! Too stinkin’ cute. I love a boy who can rock a flowery cuff, especially when it comes from his mom’s crafty heart. Well done, you.

2. May 12, 2017 4:58 am

Well, I think that the red trews with that fabulous jacket look amazing, and you should have no second thoughts: your creativity is awesome. If anyone is mean enough to judge a little kid on his leg-wear, they’re going to have a field day with Liberty print and tweed, so sucks to them!

3. May 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Knitting is my first love and it will be my last, but generally I believe in ‘the redemptive power of making things’ (a great quote I read today), and I make lots of other things for fun; I love quilting and wish I had the time to get better at it. Love the jacket! And I have no idea about the issue with red trousers (I’m British) – my 8 yo son has a pair of burgundy-ish trousers he loves. Of all the things to worry about what other people think, I would say this isn’t it x

4. Caitlin permalink
    May 11, 2017 4:20 pm

I’ve just started branching out into sewing more. I find it much more intimidating than knitting! Also so much less portable, but I’ve been so inspired by #memademay (and some talented seamstress friends) that I’ve decided to give it a go. Luckily I have a tiny person to sew for who doesn’t care how things turn out ;-) and it gives me a chance to practice before taking the step of making things for myself. I love purl soho patterns–just made a baby sunbonnet and it’s the sweetest.

5. Peggy permalink
    May 11, 2017 12:28 pm

The little wool coats you have made for Max are wonderful. I too love wool and have even bought old wool coats from tag sales thinking I’ll remake them into something. You are very adventurous to forge ahead without a pattern. I couldn’t do that. Will be awaiting your creations for little Neve. I do like both choices but especially the one with the mustard yellow.

I too like many of the needlearts, quilting, knitting, spinning, tatting, and a little garment sewing. My grown son knows if he needs something made or fixed who to visit.

Love your patterns if that your directions are so complete and clear and enjoy seeing what you are making.

I do like the red pants and didn’t know that tidbit about them either!

6. Joan V permalink
    May 11, 2017 8:42 am

Time to take back red pants for all of US! 😉 These jackets are so adorable & look so great with red pants!
    Seriously, thank you for all the creative ideas, great patterns & helpful instructions. This is where I come to get inspiration.

7. Susie Burdett permalink
    May 11, 2017 7:19 am

Strawberry trousers (red trousers) are very much associated with toffs, but pretty sure only grown up toffs. Kids are free to wear whatever colour they like!

8. Christine permalink
    May 11, 2017 6:36 am

So does Santa. Love them. Wear what you like. With the plaid shirt I’d say he wearing Canadian colours.